Is there any other way to celebrate Valentine’s day than by eating chocolate? It seems like chocolate has become the quintessential feature of a Valentine’s day well-spent, especially if you don’t have a significant other to celebrate it with… It’s ok though, chocolate is great company. However, what’s even greater company is this moist chocolate cake topped off with some dark chocolate ganache. Now you can talk about exquisite (and delightfully tasty) company.
This cake is perfect for Valentine’s Day, let me tell you why: 1. it can be made for exclusively you or 2. it can be made for your loved one(s) and 3. it’s made of pure dark, luxurious chocolate. Truly, it’s ideally moist and the chocolate just melts in your mouth.
(for the cake)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water
3/4 cup unsweetened chopped dark chocolate
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
(for the ganache)
200g chopped dark chocolate
25cl light cream
- Pre-heat oven to 175° C. Prepare a round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Melt the chopped dark chocolate in a water bath until smooth.
- Add the melted dark chocolate to the liquid mixture while beating, until everything is blended in. Then add this mix to the dry mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Melt light cream in a pot until bubbly and boiling. Add the chocolate and stir frequently.
- Pour over cake when done and spread.
Serve to your valentine and enjoy!